[Lubuntu-comms] Munich distributes Linux CDs to get people to ditch Windows XP

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 19:41:43 UTC 2013

On 09/15/2013 10:17 PM, 神癒礁湖 (Rafael Laguna) wrote:
> I must advice again. You should ask Canonical first about distribution of
> ANY of their trademarks (yes, they all are registered). We tried with
> something more "innocent", like t-shirts, and it's not possible right now.
>
> There's a website that sells Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu CDs (nine pounds)
> and it's illegal. Look at these policies:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/intellectual-property-policy
> http://www.canonical.com/intellectual-property-policy
>

> --
> Rafael Laguna
> Lubuntu Artwork Team

IANAL but the policies there do not seem to contravene selling
unmodified Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Lubuntu discs.  The only handle Canonical
would have there would be on the trademarks and I could not spot
anything specific to reselling.  Ethically though selling to recover
production and distribution costs might be ok, but anything above that
becomes questionable given the open nature of the product in question.

Lubuntu would have been a better choice for Munich because the XP users
are much more likely to run older hardware and Lubuntu is better suited
for low spec machines.

Regards,
/Lars