People do not understand the desktop installer

Iberê Fernandes ibere.fernandes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 16:37:54 UTC 2013

2013/10/24 Leszek Lesner <leszek.lesner at web.de>

> Hmm isn't there a graph before and after?

IMHO, improvements on the instructions are always welcome, I agree.

However regular Windows users tend not to read as much as Linux users.
They're too much used to next, next, ok on the installation process.

So, will they read the improved instructions? Will they watch the video
tutorial?

Marinara has a nice video on YouTube showing how to use the alternate
installer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-VPj4jzrg

Tutorial is available since 2012 with less than 6k views. Again, will they
watch the video tutorial?

Thinking deeply... is the video not so watched/popular because people don't
search for it or is the video not so watched because it's just put in a bad
place in our wiki/docs? I really do not know how to trace this user
experience. :-(

Google search results page is not bad if you type the right queries:
http://goo.gl/VH3Vo9

I'm sure it's better to have good instructions than not having. But it's
even better to have educated users than having the lazy ones.

Before migrating to dual boot, I was already used to:

1) making regular backups;
2) read a lot before acting;
3) keep bookmarks or notes of my readings

A good example of  my old days of learning how to partition is the
following link to the brazilian Linux Magazine. Although the article is in
portuguese, the images show perfectly what's going on with partitioning:

http://www.lnm.com.br/lm/materia/particionamento_ideal_no_ubuntu

So can we improve? Yes, sure. Will newcomers improve their computing
education, reading manuals, tutorials and how tos?

I'd keep those questions in mind once some of the community resources are
scarce...

My 2 cents.

Iberê