Roadmap for 14.04

Iberê Fernandes ibere.fernandes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 17:10:55 UTC 2013

2013/11/18 Julien Lavergne <gilir at ubuntu.com>:
> [...]
> prepare the future.
>
> - We have to consider that no one will magically appear to improve the code
> of Lubuntu. It's the case since many months, and I don't think it will
> magically change for the next 6 months. We also don't have the
> infrastructure (documentation, clean process, availability of mentors ...)
> to correctly train new people on the devs team, so even if new young and
> enthusiastic people arrive, they can't really help us if they need training,
> guidance ...We may have some outside help on specific topics or bugs, but it
> will not change deeply Lubuntu as we know it. If eventually someone comes
> with actual work (mean, actual working code), we can still consider it if
> it's well tested.
>
> - LXDE is dying. Well, except pcmanfm, all components are frozen and will
> probably not going to see any improvements in the next 6 months. Expect only
> bug fixes and translations updates.
>
> - LXQt (the merge of Razor-qt and LXDE, using Qt instead of GTK) is slowly
> taking the place of the LXDE GTK. All work are done on this branch.
>
> Considering this, and the result of the previous release, we have to admit
> that we need to focus on fixing bugs for 14.04. We can't introduce new
> functionalities and new stuff, unless it fixes bugs, or if someone from
> outside the Lubuntu dev team is actively working on it. In the short-term,
> that means :
>
> - The only LXDE components which will be eventually upgraded will be pcmanfm
> / libfm. The others will be upgraded, but currently there are only bug fixes
> / translation updates releases.
>
> - Adding light-locker for locking screen, it's actively developed, use (or
> will be used) by Xubuntu, it's in the philosophy of Lubuntu (GTK apps
> without any depends on other environment), it's prettier than xscreensaver,
> more integrated with lightdm, and it will hopefully fix the locking problems
> we have.
>
> - No others changes in default applications. We removed the more
> problematics ones, and a change will cause more testing, more integration
> work … Generaly, and by default, we are frozen in term of functionalities.
>

> The goal is double :
>
> - Stabilize this 14.04 as much as we can, so it can be the release
> reference.
>
> - Prepare an eventual switch to Qt for 14.10, mostly by preparing the
> testing environment for people, and make possible a smooth upgrade from the
> GTK version.
>
> I'll go through the blueprints open for discussions, but I'll apply strictly
> the “rules” I made above. Don't be surprised …
>
> Usually, there is a blueprint which summarize the workitems for the release
> (see this for example
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/community-r-lubuntu-work-items).
> Since the next release is a “all-you-can-fix” roadmap, maintaining it will
> be IMO a waste of time. If you want to work on something specific, talk to

Julien,

Thank you for your detailed e-mail. I was looking forward to hearing
from 14.04 and the future.

Regarding:
> Since the next release is a “all-you-can-fix” roadmap, maintaining it will
> be IMO a waste of time. If you want to work on something specific, talk to
> me by mail or IRC (gilir on #lubuntu).

I agree it'll be a waste of time if we may be moving to LXQt on 14.10 cycle.

Hence, does 14.04 has to remain LTS yet? I mean, should we drop the
LTS idea for 14.04 once:
- LXDE is dying;
- we're missing devs and LTS would demand support together with the
non-LTS releases.
- LXQt seems to be not  ready for 14.04

Best regards,

--