(Lubuntu13.10) nm-applet --- Crash

Federico Leoni effelle at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 12:04:16 UTC 2013

2013/11/18 Qua Purna <quapurna at gmail.com>:
> Halo, Xubuntu and Lubuntu Users.
>
> Xubuntu 13.10, Lubuntu 13.10
>
> I can not tell how many times this has happened and how many times I
> have reported this via the build-in report that appears when the crash
> happens.
>
> This issue appears on Xubuntu and Lubuntu. I notice this at least for
> 13.10, 13.04, 12.10 of both of them.
>
> I use mobile broadband (cdma) for net connection.
> On Lubuntu panel, I have the "nm-applet".
>
> If "nm-applet" has been crashed, the internet connection is still on.
> I still can use Firefox (I am writing this email while nm-applet has
> been crashed) and "network-monitor" applet still works properly
> displaying the in/out data of ppp0 connection.
>
> To make the nm-applet appear again, I have to manually run it.
>
> Has another user experienced this issue, too ?
> Is there anything I can do to solve this ?
>
> Thanks.

Hi there,

we need some more information to help out.
What is your configuration?
Could you gently paste the output of the crash report?
Did you look if there are errors on dmesg?

dmesg | grep nm-applet

Have you tried to launch nm-applet manually and record the output to
see what happen?
You can try to track down the error via terminal:

killall nm-applet (if not crashed yet)
script nm-applet.log
nm-applet &

leave the terminal window open and when (if) the applet crash type

exit

now you will find a nm-applet.log on your home. Don't use a command like

nm-applet | tee nm-applet.log

because it will not record the output.
Did you look if there is something on session log (I doubt)?

leafpad ~/.xsession-errors

Let us know.

F.