[Lubuntu-qa] make new Lubuntu versions cooperate with Pentium M

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Wed May 1 11:25:51 UTC 2013

Hello again,

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Iberę,
>
> Different persons have different advice about Lubuntu 12.04 after
> end-of-life in October 2013. *My advice is to get something else, for
> example Xubuntu 12.04 LTS*, that is receiving security updates for all
> the packages until April 2015. Lubuntu will not get it for the Lubuntu
> specific packages (those not included in any of the LTS versions). So
> there is an increased security risk, probably very small, but increased.

I'm sure everyone by now knows what is my opinion about that. However, I
learned that having different opinions and thoughts is a healthy matter and
I encourage that but we must be careful :)

1- I'm not against any other thought than mine but offering Xubuntu? we
need to be careful what options we will offer to Lubuntu 12.04 users
because Xubuntu is not as fast as Lubuntu. Those with Low RAM will suffer.
I don't need to prove that, I guess. All of us know lately, Xubuntu is not
as light as Lubuntu.

2- How many users will actually affected by that? do we even know? I have
seen probably 10 so far on the mailing list+Forums+some where else.

3- I'm with Steve's suggestion to look at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/**
archives/ubuntu-security-**announce<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce>

However, I'm not the right person to tell how bad that could be. It is kind
of beyond my current skills and experience :(

4- We all agreed that NOTHING is perfectly safe, not even the most secure
system on earth. However, how the EOL for Lubuntu 12.04 will really affect
the whole system?

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Core System VS Lubuntu 12.04 other packages

Any idea what is the percentage?
IMHO, we should know that in numbers/figures/facts before we carry on with
this. Perhaps it's trivial or perhaps it is really serious. Only then, we
can decide what to do and how to react :)

> - But if he is curious and might open pages and files, that *might *carry
> an infection or trigger an infection, the defence *might not* be
> completely up to date in Lubuntu 12.04 after October.

>* Nobody knows* (it does not help much to be a developer, maybe helps more
> to be a security expert) and in the end it is your own decision if you
> can live with that *slightly*(?) increased risk.

This is exactly what I'm talking about :)
"might"
"perhaps"
"maybe"
"Nobody knows"

No solid facts, we are guessing/assuming.

Again, I'm not against that and better safe than sorry, I'm a very very
careful and caution is important. However, again, better to have solid
facts and figures :D

I'm very much up and ready for this. If someone else can help me in this
research, he/she will be more than welcome. you all know how much I love
these stuff :D

At the end, I'm going to say it again :D
I have Lubuntu 10.04 installed on my test subject. I have sent an email
about it before.
The reason why I'm keeping this on my machine is to test how the EOL and
Lack of support will affect Lubuntu 10.04 :)

Needless to say, I'm also having Lubuntu 12.04 installation here.
This is actually a multi-booting system machine for pure testing :D

So, who would like to join me/us to do more deep digging about that and
then come back to the community with some solid results and facts?

IMHO, sitting here and discussing without solid ground is a waste. Don't
get me wrong, this is my personal opinion :)

Thank you!

Best Regards,
amjjawad
Start Lubuntu