[Lubuntu-comms] installing Lubuntu in less than 100 seconds

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 08:35:44 UTC 2013

Hello Nio,

I'm sure I have replied you, in a civil style, as my wise friend Phill
suggested to do. I have done that before and I will re-do it again but I
hope I don't really have to re-reply yet another time :D

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 1:00 AM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen!
>
> I wanted to try something that is much simpler from the ground,

Define simple?
What is simple for you, me, Phill, etc ... may be not for others. Just my
thought.

> to perform a basic installation

What is wrong with the current installer? is it broken? need to be fixed?
why not to fix the broken thing rather than leave it and go for something
else? Again, just my thought :)

(not only to be able to install into a computer with low RAM, but in
> general to be successful without knowing
> much).

Sound promising but:

1- Without knowing much could be destructive (if someone wants to dual-boot
or have data or whatever scenario, will your simple installer tell him/her
and warn him before wiping and installing the new system?)

2- Again, what is wrong with the alternate installer if the GUI one failed?

3- The point is not to install Lubuntu on Low RAM machine, the point is to
'USE' Lubuntu after the installing it. What is the point to successfully
install Lubuntu on 128MB RAM and after that, it will not be usable? I have
successfully installed Lubuntu on P2 with 64MB RAM and 4GB HDD but the
machine is not usable at all :)

> I think some of the Windows XP users will try Lubuntu if the word is
> spread, that it is 'so easy to install Lubuntu'.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with Lubuntu as
it is now. We have to remember it is not prefect and will never be.

> I see this situation:
> After they dared try the one button installer on the old PC, they will
> get more interested and use the flexible installer to get a dual boot
> system on the new PC.

If and only if the one button installer has LESS headache than the
standards approaches to install Lubuntu and provide a successful
installation but later on a usable system, I see no harm but please read my
notes above :)

> The one button installer works well with 128 MB RAM in a real computer.

What is the point if the system will not be usable and the machine will be
dead slow?
128MB Physical RAM, despite there is zRAM or not, is not a good option for
daily Lubuntu Usage. Sad but true. The system will work, but slow. You
can't do much IMHO.
I'm sure you have tested that.

With 256MB RAM and P4, I have some problems sometimes. System being slow is
the most headache but of course no crashes, only with Chromium in the past.
However, even with Firefox, more than one tab is a problem.

I do not mind to do more tests ;) I love testing :)

> It is very easy to use, built into an installed Ubuntu Mini system, and
> portable enough to install from a 2 GB USB pendrive. It is not intended
> for CD/DVD.

Please, you need to understand the standard way to install Lubuntu is the
LiveCD :)
Does your approach work from a LiveCD?

> Fair enough, I will not push this issue too hard. I will try the one
> button installer with some friends (most of them are not very good at
> computers).

Good idea :D
Waiting for y

> I might also upload something similar to the fake-PAE stuff.
> And I might come back with something well in time before Windows XP EOL.

Good luck, my friend!

> Jonathan suggested to make a preseeder for the alternate or mini iso. I
> intend to make one (for comparison), but not in the near future, and
> then I will probably ask for an update how to do it.

Good luck with that too :)

Why does this suggestion makes people so upset?

Speaking of myself, I am not upset about your idea :)

> New ideas can be liked and disliked, supported and critised, discussed or
> forgotten.

I second that.

> We need to be open to new ideas and listen to the arguments of each other
> in order
> to develop (Lubuntu as well as ourselves).

+1

Thank you!

--

"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

*Best Regards,*
*amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
*Start Ubuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
*