Minimum RAM required to install Saucy (Lubuntu 13.10) from Desktop ISO

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 17 11:48:27 UTC 2013

On 17/06/13 02:13, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With all respect to your skill as a tester, Ali, I have to ask:
>
> 1. Has the GUI installer of Saucy improved a lot compared to Raring?

Doesn't look like it. I had my trained monkey run the following test:-

Compaq Deskpro as previous with 512 MiB RAM. Single FAT32 partition on
HDD. Saucy live CD booted into live session. Swapoff run to disable
zRAM. Start installation with default settings. As soon as swap was
created and started the system began to use it. Max usage just over 10
MiB. Installation successful. Tried 13.04 on this setup with similar
swap usage and another successful install.

> 2. Or was I doing something seriously wrong?

Probably :D

We need to run Saucy installs on as much hardware as possible as I
believe there is more to this than just RAM size. I suspect some old CD
drives aren't really up to it. I know the one in this machine is
somewhat erratic.

--

Steve