[Lubuntu-qa] [Lubuntu-wiki-docs] [Test Report 1] Minimum RAM required to install Saucy (Lubuntu 13.10) from Desktop ISO

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 08:16:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With all respect to your skill as a tester, Ali, I have to ask:
>
> Hello Nio, sounds like a challenge :D

> 1. Has the GUI installer of Saucy improved a lot compared to Raring?

Yes indeed, that was the 'whole point' to add 'zRAM' :)

Please, refer back to:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2013-June/004451.html
Read what Leszek Lesner explained about zRAM :)

2. Or was I doing something seriously wrong?

> Because I could not install Lubuntu *Raring* 32-bit without swap, not even
> with the alternate installer, with 256MB RAM. I did it in VirtualBox in
> a Precise 32-bit host.

I did *NOT *test Raring (AKA Lubuntu 13.04), I was testing Saucy (AKA
Lubuntu 13.10 development release)
Raring has *no* zRAM by default.
Saucy *has zRAM* by default.

Again: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2013-June/004451.html

> I'll test it tomorrow in Saucy and switch off the memory hogs in
> VirtualBox.

You do not need to switch anything off :)
If you need to have the same result of my tests, you need to understand
that you need to use exactly the same steps that I have used.

Having that said, you need to create new Virtual HDD - 5GB is more than
enough.
You need to set RAM as 268MB, 12MB of that will go to Video and 256MB will
be left for the RAM that the system will use.
I KNOW, I KNOW, no real system has that but I was NOT simulating what the
real system has for video memory, I was simulating a system with dedicated
graphics card and 256MB RAM.

zRAM does NOT need 'SWAP' to work, that is the whole point.

Please, read my test cases carefully. I have installed on empty HDD with NO
partition whatsoever. NO swap, nothing.

> I will also try to test low RAM in a real computer :-)
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Good idea, because this would be my 2nd report :)

I will send my new report once I'm done ;)

@Wiki-Team
We do need to:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2013-June/004451.html
Take the important notes from this email about zRAM and put that to our
Wiki. I'm up to this if you agree!

Everyone needs to be aware of what zRAM is and what it does. I've seen some
users on other area (not here) who know nothing about zRAM. Maybe we should
discuss that on new thread/email.

--

"All of us are smarter than any one of us."

*Best Regards,*
*amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
*Start Ubuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
*