Default Programs to 13.10 and 14.04

Lars Nooden lars.nooden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 16:44:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013, Jackson Doak wrote:
> yep. It's a shame, but it has do be done. stupid copyright and F/OSS laws

Nothing about FOSS there.  The application would be just as affected by
copyright as a closed-source proprietary application.  However, one of the
barriers is the US.  Being developed/distributed in the EU, VLC is not
affected by patents, but any of our end users in the Americas would have
trouble.
	http://www.videolan.org/legal.html

VLC is covered by the GPL so it would be allowed to make a
bifurcated edition with the US-problematic bits in a separate package but
I lack the skill for that.  So it looks like the most we can do is mention
VLC in the slide show, if we don't want to exclude US users from getting
Lubuntu.

Regards,
/Lars