HP Pavilion DV6 Laptop - does it hate Linux?

Iberê Fernandes ibere.fernandes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 16:11:04 UTC 2013

2013/5/31 Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjjawad at gmail.com>

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have HP Pavilion DV6 Laptop - Intel Core i5 (1st generation) with 4GB
> RAM and 500GB HDD and ATI Radeon Graphics + Intel Built-in Graphics (on
> Windows 7, I can choose between those two).
>
> I bought it few years ago with Windows 7 and can't remember when, I
> installed Linux on it.
>
> Long story short and I'm still shocked while writing this and surprised
> but that is the truth:
> This machine works 'better' in Windows 7 than Linux on these area:
> a- More Battery Life in Windows 7 (almost 2 hours while only 1 with Linux).
>
> b- Less Heat and Fan Noise in Windows 7 (with Linux, heat sometimes go
> above 70c and while doing nothing, it is 60c - 65c).
>
> c- Brightness (can't adjust it with Linux like I do with Windows 7)
>
> And to my surprise, my old test machine starts up and shuts down even
> faster O_o
> Check my signature to find out the Hardware Details of my Test Machine.
>
> Regardless what version I use, both Ubuntu and Lubuntu, all the same
> performance.
>
> I hate to say this but Linux on this machine is a real pain.
>
> Am I the only one with this issue?
>
> Thanks!
>
> P.S.
> Despite the many threads about this machine, non solved so far and that is
> why I'm still looking for a solution.
>
> --
> *Best Regards,*
> *amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/>*
> *Start Ubuntu<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/CommunicationsTeam/WOWLubuntu/StartUbuntu>
> *

Ali,

Have you ever tried the package laptop-mode-tools?

I had similar problems with my production laptop when I tried to run Ubuntu
12.04 there.

Specs: Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz, video Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
Integrated Graphics Controller, 3Gb RAM.

I remember i tried Jupiter (project ended) and laptop-mode-tools. None
worked for me so I decided to try Lubuntu and it's been working great! No
power management tools needed for me know and system works from 41C to 65C
when on pressure.

I do understand you already run Lubuntu on your HP laptop, anyway, check on
the following links some details about laptop-mode-tools.

Cheers,
Iberê

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop_Mode_Tools
[2]