Slideshow changes ?

Sat Jan 26 20:09:50 UTC 2013

On 01/26/2013 11:18 AM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> Hi Aere,
>
> In the section 'Get Lubuntu' [1] we do actively encourage people with
> low resource computers to use the Alternate install. The alternate
> install does not require usage of terminal and is akin to a GUI (Slide
> Show) install but without the 'pretty pictures'.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.
> 1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu
>
> On 26 January 2013 18:01, Aere Greenway <Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com
> <mailto:Aere at dvorak-keyboards.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/26/2013 03:13 AM, Tracer wrote:

Phill:

I agree that the alternate install can be used, and does work, and I use
it for machines with 512 megabytes of RAM (which _used_ to be sufficient
for installing any of the 'flavors' of Ubuntu).

The problem is, it is prudent to try-out the new system before
installing it, and I must download the live CD system to do that, which
also used to be all that was needed to install it.

But now, I have to download another CD (not all of us have fast Internet
speeds) to do the actual install.

To me, it would be more friendly to the users, to be able to install
from what we already downloaded - even without the pretty pictures
(admittedly informative), than to require us to download yet another CD
when we decide to install.

--
Sincerely,
Aere