Calendar/PIM recommendations/evaluations?

Mon Jan 14 16:29:21 UTC 2013

On 01/14/2013 08:51 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:37:43AM -0500, John Hupp wrote:
>>     I'm looking for calendar or personal information manager recommendations
>>     and evaluations.  Overall recommendations (preferably with any
>>     deficiencies noted), or what other programs are nice except for this or
>>     that problem.
>>
> I have spent many fruitless hours looking for calendar/PIM and have
> never found anything particularly satisfactory.  What I have wound up
> with at present is as follows:-
>
>      I use reminderfox (a Firefox addon) for entering important repeating
>      reminders such as tax return dates (I run a small business).  I have
>      a small python script that uses the file produced by reminderfox to
>      pop up a warning message in my panel (using Generic Monitor) when
>      events due in a few days. The panel message turns red when it's only
>      three days or less away.
>
>      For addresses and recording of things like dogs vaccinations,
>      payments, etc. I have given up using anything clever and they live
>      in text files.  The command line utilites (like grep and awk) are so
>      good that finding things is very easy.  My addresses for example are
>      in text file(s) with 6 lines per entry, I have a bash script to find
>      entries:-
>
>          #!/bin/bash
>          #
>          #
>          # Address finding and editing program
>          #
>          if [ $1 == '-e' ]
>          then
>              if [ ${#2} == 1 ]
>              then
>                  vi ~/.addresses/$2
>              else
>                  vi -c/$2 `grep -l $2 ~/.addresses/*`
>              fi
>          else
>              echo
>              grep -h -A 5 $1 ~/.addresses/*
>          fi
>
>      So to find an address I just enter 'a Fred' at the command line and
>      any/all addresses for people with Fred in their name are listed.
>

>>     I'm vaguely aware that there has been some controversy regarding the
>>     Lubuntu email programs, so the same input is welcome on that topic.
> I use mutt (command line junkie that I am).

Chris:

I recently switched from using Evolution mail, to Thunderbird mail.

That is working fine, so far, and I like it better.  The downside is I
have no way to migrate my former e-mails (which go back many years, for
the important ones).  I am living with that, because I can just fire-up
Evolution mail, and access all of the old e-mails.

One thing Thunderbird didn't seem to have (that Evolution had), is the
calendar functionality.

I originally used Osmo which seems to be installed by default.  It
seemed to work, though its functionality seemed minimal, to me.

I then discovered that Thunderbird mail has calendar functionality,
which is available as a plug-in.

I was hesitant to use it, since I had seen some bad reviews about it,
but I tried it anyway, and have yet to have any problems with it.

Be aware that my experience is using Lubuntu 12.10.

--
Sincerely,
Aere