Manually update a library? And a GetDeb question?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sat Feb 9 15:45:11 UTC 2013

Regarding my last question below, I now see that Synaptic uses dpkg, so
it seems very likely that despite the language of some of the
documentation, there is probably only one package database shared by all
the relevant tools.  Enlighten me if that's incorrect.

Regarding the Entangle v0.5 I wanted to install from source, and with
the v0.4 package avaiIable via Synaptic configured for GetDeb, I ran
$ sudo apt-get build-dep entangle
to install just the dependencies for entangle, and then manually
installed one additional dependency peculiar to Entangle 0.5.

Then I used configure/make/sudo checkinstall - checkinstall being my
latest "discovery" - to install from the un-archived source in
/usr/local/src (after making myself the owner of src).

[Checkinstall runs "make install," tracks that process, then creates a
deb package based on what it tracked, then installs that package, which
results in an installation that can be cleanly removed, unlike the
unreliable "make uninstall."  Nice!]

This left Synaptic showing only Entangle v0.5 (installed).  It did not
show Entangle v0.4 available from GetDeb.  Pleasingly clean and unconfusing.

------------------------

Perhaps with Julien Lavergne's caution in my ears, I'm wondering how to
best handle an upgrade to the already-installed libgphoto2 library
package.  The upgrade is the only solution to my problem (related to
Entangle, above), and it is not yet available via repo, PPA or GetDeb.
Only from source.  I want to assure that I install it as an upgrade, not
as some sort of a parallel installation which might confuse the relevant
apps, or worse, leave them using the old version.

Perhaps the archive's README and INSTALL are all the information I need,
but this is the first time I have attempted something like this, so I'd
really appreciate any special pointers that might not be covered there.