Manually update a library? And a GetDeb question?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri Feb 8 15:26:55 UTC 2013

Running Entangle (www.entangle-photo.org) to do remote capture (aka
"tethered shooting"), which uses gphoto2 as the backend.  Developer
Daniel Berrange there (from Canonical) and Marcus Meissner et al at the
gphoto project have been very responsive and active in trying to resolve
a number of problems, the most recent of which have to do with preview
mode and macro mode.  And they already took care of several other major
problems over the past few months.

In any case, all of these fixes have happened/are happening in releases
later than the ones available from the Ubuntu repos or even GetDeb
(though GetDeb just got back up and running after being offline for a
few months, so perhaps they are savoring that victory for a moment
before plunging ahead).
---------------------

After my first post on this topic, I have learned that, since there is
no current repo, PPA or GetDeb download, one thing I can do (in working
from source) that would be much better than simply running "make
install" would be to run checkinstall, which creates a package and
installs that, producing a clean uninstall option.

Also, spurred by Julien Lavergne's critique, I'll have a closer look at
dependency consequences.

---------------------

As I have been reading more about all this and the various available
installation-related tools, one thing currently puzzling me are
statements like these from the dpkg manpage: "dpkg keeps its record of
available packages in /var/lib/dpkg/available.  ...  APT has its own
system to keep track of available packages."

So in some lit it seems that there is only one package database that all
these package tools refer to and maintain.  And so
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware says "read the dpkg
manual page before using dpkg, as improper use may break the package
management database."  In other places two or more databases are
indicated, as in the dpkg manpage.

Can anyone clarify this with authority?