Manually update a library? And a GetDeb question?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Tue Feb 5 22:05:26 UTC 2013

On I'm running Quantal, I've been wanting and waiting to solve a camera
control problem and feel that the latest release of libgphoto2 (v2.5.1)
will probably do the job.

But the version installed (the highest available) from the official repo
is 2.4.x.

I'm imagining that if I do a manual upgrade and the available repo
release catches up to 2.5.x at some point, that this will not be be a
problem.  Anyone confirm?

--------------------

A related question with the GetDeb source.  (BTW, GetDeb is back up and
running after being down for a LONG time.)  The related camera control
software is now at version 0.5.x and has several critical fixes, but the
GetDeb available version is 0.4.x.

First of all, does it me anything for my Quantal installation that the
prescribed source apt line in the manualinstallation instructions is:
deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu precise-getdeb apps (rather than
*quantal-getdeb*)?

Next, I recall that if I manually install anapp rather than using, say,
a Synaptic source, then it will not automatically update?

If I recall incorrectly about that, then as with my library question
above, if I manually install 0.5.xand the available GetDeb version
eventually catches up and passes that, will it transition smoothly?