A few Lubuntu Menu things...

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Sun Dec 29 16:44:53 UTC 2013

I hope the details below helps someone figure some things out about no
icons, blank icons and icons that are too big. And as mentioned
previously by Aere; there is quite a bit of variation in the way
developers tackle the icon "problem." I looked a little deeper and tried
some experimenting with apps installed through LSC starting with the
letter "E."

For the application called eFTE, which shows no icon (default icon in
menu, blank on the desktop); there are 4 icons in usr/share/pixmaps
efte16x16.xpm
efte32x32.xpm
efte48x48.xpm
efte64x64.xpm
This is referenced in the shortcut as Icon=efte

I copied the shortcut to the desktop and changed just the Icon= line to
reference the path to the 32x32 icon
Icon=usr/share/pixmaps/efte32x32.xpm
This had absolutely no effect. I tried each of the other sizes as well;
16x16, 48x48 and 64x64. None had any effect - still a blank icon.
I also tried moving the Icon= line to the top of the shortcut, just
below [Desktop Entry]; nothing.
I then moved the Icon= line above [Desktop Entry] and this time after
saving, the default icon was shown.
Next, I deleted all but the 64x64px icon in usr/share/pixmaps and
renamed it simply efte.xpm. I then moved the Icon= line back down below
the Exec= line, but left the path. The icon went back to being blank.
Finally, I removed the path, so it was now Icon=efte.xpm (only the
64x64px icon still remained in usr/share/pixmaps and the icon's name is
simply efte.xpm) and the icon showed on the desktop! I (tested to make
sure the shortcut still worked from the desktop to open eFTE) then
replaced the shortcut in /usr/share/applications and the icon showed in
the menu too! The menu now showed a large icon for eFTE; 4 times the
size it should have been. Next (because I had really deleted all but the
64x64px version) I halved the size of the icon in GIMP and overwrote it
in /usr/share/pixmaps. And because it was still showing the 4x size in
the menu, I entered lxpanelctl restart in LXTerminal and the icon had
shrunk to twice the size as normal - the 32x32px size. I halved it again
to 16x16px and again entered lxpanelctl restart in LXTerminal and the
icon then finally showed in the menu at a normal size.

In the case of Emila Pinball, which shows a large icon (roughly 4x
normal size); there is only 1 icon in the same location
pinball.xpm
This icon is 32x32px, 72 dpi.
This is referenced in the shortcut as Icon=pinball.xpm

emesene, which shows a normal icon; has both an .xpm (at 32x32px) and a
.png (at 96x96px) in usr/share/pixmaps
emesene.xpm
emesene.png
Referenced in the shortcut as Icon=emesene

ELKI, which shows a normal icon; only one icon resides in usr/share/pixmaps
elki-icon.png
It is also  32x32px, 72 dpi
In the shortcut as Icon=elki-icon

Hope some of this sheds some light.