iTunes on Ubuntu and all its official variants

Eric Bradshaw ericbradshaw at computers4christians.org
Wed Dec 25 05:38:53 UTC 2013

I thought I'd throw another two cents in about iTunes (and the iLife
suite). I last mentioned it was the look and feel of iTunes and the
whole Mac experience my wife was after, but if someone simply wants
functionality and choice I think Linux in general and Lubuntu
specifically is a good choice for a whole mess of folks. +1 for Android too.

I believe most everything in iTunes/iLife may be replaced (and and very
likely improved) by things that run on Lubuntu. For a music player
Clementine is a good choice. Audacious is also good. Banshee also. And
Songbird. Oh, also Exaile, DeaDBeeF and MPlayer. I'm sure there are
more. My favorite is VLC [http://www.videolan.org/vlc/].

iPhoto replacements abound (F-Spot, GimPhoto, RawTherapee, Shotwell,
digiKam). My favorite is a simple photo manager called gThumb
[http://gthumb.sourceforge.net/features.html]. iDVD replacements also
depend on your requirements – I’ve used DeeVeeDee
[http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html] a little, but there is
also Cdw, DVD Flick, DVDStyler, ManDVD. iWeb replacements include Amaya,
Arachnophilia, Bluefish, BlueGriffon, KompoZer, OpenBexi, TinyMCE and my
favorite; SeaMonkey [http://www.seamonkey-project.org/]. The best iChat
replacement seems to be Pidgin [http://pidgin.im/] (don't really chat at
home). However, there is also Empathy, emesene, Gajim, Kopete, qutIM,
SimIM and Swift to choose from.

 From what I understand, each book in iBooks is actually it's own
application - not a standard format and therefore not transferable. I
never used this app myself, but discovered this when trying to help an
acquaintance. There is apparently a decent selection of ebook readers
though - seemingly lead by Calibre [http://calibre-ebook.com/] -
CoolReader, FBReader and Lucidore to list what I found Googling.

Ooh, just ran found a good roundup;
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OSXApplicationsEquivalents

Eric