Did anyone refile bug for Flash Player shows green/purple in compressed window?

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Aug 8 21:55:57 UTC 2013

On 8/8/2013 2:58 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> On this former XP machine with a Celeron 2.4 GHz and 1 GB RAM, YouTube
>>> videos in the default window size and playing at 360p seemed to
>>> perform normally.  Likewise, video from Hulu can be set to a lower
>>> quality to help assure continuous play.  But video from Vimeo can only
>>> be set to HD-Off (if HD is available).  And with video from the
>>> broadcast network sites CBS.com, NBC.com and ABC.com, you can only
>>> change screen size.  So it seems that videos from Vimeo, CBS, NBC and
>>> ABC offer very little accommodation for lower-spec setups.  And
>>> relatedly, I find that video that plays OK on a Windows PC with a dual
>>> core Intel E2200 @ 2.20 GHz -- even with just 1.3 Mbps download on my
>>> DSL service -- plays badly on the 2.4 GHz Celeron using the same
>>> Internet connection.  So in this case processing power is more
>>> important than Internet connection speed.
>>>
>>> 2.4 GHz is the minimum required spec for Flash (the last I knew), but
>>> perhaps that merely means that you'll be able to play *something*
>>> (like YouTube or Hulu videos at a lower-quality setting), not that
>>> you'll be able to play everything.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is a way to lower the quality settings for
>>> sites like Vimeo, CBS, NBC and ABC, even if there is no
>>> quality-setting tool in the player interface?  (Or does anyone differ
>>> with the assessment I offer above?)
>> John:
>>
>> Thank you very much for your reply.
>>
>> There's a lot of really good information in it.
>>
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Aere
>>
> +1
> Thank you very much for describing and discussing this workaround :-)
>
> I was able to get good graphics with Saucy alpha 2 in my old IBM
> Thinkcentre desktop computer, that has suffered from bad graphics since
> Raring. I used your workaround, John, and it worked without issues with
> the log in screen.
>
> My Thinkcentre has the following graphics
>
> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
> Controller (rev 02)
>
> I'll attach two text files for clarity, one with the tips explicitly
> stated, and one with the output of lspci on my Thinkcentre.
>
> I used the installed system for USB according to the following link
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstalledSystemFakePAE
>
> I don't notice the bad graphics with my wall-paper (for Saucy alpha2),
> but switch to the default one, and you see it! After adding uxa
> acceleration, the default wallpaper is rendered as it should, without
> the sharp boundaries, 'jagged' as described by Aere concerning the
> Raring wallpaper.
>
> -o-
>
> I found also this link about UXA for Intel graphics
>
> http://task3.cc/135/intel-graphic-cards-linux-xorg-and-uxa-performance-boost/
>
> -o-
>
> @ Phill:
>
> Where could this workaround be added into the Lubuntu Wiki?

I'm trying to find a workaround for the workaround and fix this garbled
login screen.

But to round out the knowledge of the problem and solution, I observe
that uxa acceleration solved a different problem for Nio than the one I
was first addressing (with Flash content displaying in green and purple
in a compressed window).  Nio wrote:

"I don't notice the bad graphics with my wall-paper (for Saucy alpha2),
but switch to the default one, and you see it! After adding uxa
acceleration, the default wallpaper is rendered as it should, without
the sharp boundaries, 'jagged' as described by Aere concerning the
Raring wallpaper."

And to pick out another bit worth noting, he observed that uxa causes no
problem with the login screen, but his case deals with Saucy alpha 2
rather than Raring, so I merely underline those particulars.

So now I'm wondering how uxa fouls up the LightDM login screen on Raring
but not on Saucy.  I'm hanging on by my troubleshooting fingernails here
looking for clues, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightDM notes that
LightDM "uses various front-ends to draw login interfaces, so-called
Greeters."

The apparent Greeter of interest here is the GTK+ Greeter. Following the
the references in the LightDM wiki, I see that 12.04 used
lightdm-gtk-greeter (1.1.5-0ubuntu1).  13.04 uses v 1.5.1-0ubuntu1 of
the Greeter (and v 1.6.0-0ubuntu3 of LightDM).

What version of the Greeter is Saucy using?

Are there some LightDM/Greeter settings I can play with to see if any of
them yields a clean login screen?  Or can we compare some Raring vs.
Saucy configurations and learn something useful?

And closer to the original topic, it seems that no one has refiled the
closed bug.  If I can boot with an earlier kernel and the Flash problem
does not appear as noted there (I have not tested this myself), is that
enough to conclude that this bug should be filed against the kernel?