Lubuntu and The VERY Old Machines :)

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 22:56:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

I thought to start a new email/thread instead of replying Aere Greenway's
email about his old machine.

This is for everyone so that you guys can understand what is going on.

First of all, I'm not a developer and not even close so I will explain as a
Lubuntu User :)

I know that starting from 12.04, people started to raise some concerns and
sometimes, complaints.
May I explain what is really going on?

As you all know, Lubuntu is based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a Linux Distribution
after all that is using Linux Kernel.

When Linus Torvalds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds) and
probably his team release a new version of Linux Kernel, as you may know,
with each newer version, new drivers, etc are being added but on the other
hand, some are being removed.

Why do we keep Lubuntu 10.04 on our Wiki Area and Servers so you can
download it and using it? simply because the Kernel that is being used
there does support some old hardware while the NEW version can not.

Linux Kernel version 3.5 -
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020196/linux-3-8-will-drop-support-for-intel-386-chips.html

This is not in our hands.
So, assuming (for example) this Kernel will be with 13.04 or 13.10, we have
nothing to do with the fact that this Kernel does not support this or that
hardware.

I hope this is clear.

That is why, sometimes, two versions of Lubuntu become different sometimes.
Like 12.04 and 11.10 when it comes to drivers, etc.

Hope this will help for a better understanding :)

Thank you so much for reading!

*Best Regards,*
*amjjawad*
*https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/*