Video Player change proposal

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sun Sep 16 16:49:55 UTC 2012

I'm new to Linux, and I have been starting to test Lubuntu 12.04's
multimedia handling abilities. (See my thread: [Lubuntu] Progress on
playing a CD?)

I'm still working that CD-playing angle, and have a bit to contribute here.

VLC is memory-sensitive and has choppy/stuttering CD play at 386 MB.
But it performed just fine on a machine with 512 MB.  One might wonder
if the 386 MB PC is under-spec, but I find no separate
minimum/recommended memory spec for Lubuntu.  It seems to inherit the
Ubuntu spec on that point: 64 MB minimum, 256 MB recommended -- though I
have to wonder if that can be current. (BTW, I highly value apps that
"just work," even if they are a bit heavier, so this is not a
deal-breaker in my own view.  I submit it here just to add to the facts.)

Audacious has good CD playing performance even at 386 MB.

Gnome Mplayer just crashes on both machines.