A question

Ron Mitchell rm2892 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 21:48:30 UTC 2012

Is it to be expected that the average newbie Lubuntu user will be capable of 'tweaking' the system when it fails to install properly?

Ubuntu and its derrivatives have built an excellent reputation over the years as being a distro of Linux that does not require a special knowledge of what goes on under the hood. And yet it seems, in the real world, there are times when such knowledge would be quite helpful.

Having attended a fair number of Linux User Group meetings over the years, I know that some users come to these groups hoping for something that will "just work" right out of the box. That is perhaps a little unrealistic. However, with respect to my latest adventure with xorg.conf, I did get one message that basically assumed that I knew the correct answer, and that the xorg.conf file I used was 'garbage'.

(See comments under bug report 1044180)

Just curious, so I'm asking.

Ron Mitchell

--