Incomplete shutdown on some LTSP clients (shutdown hangs/freezes)

Yorvyk yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:41:00 UTC 2012

On 07/09/12 16:58, John Hupp wrote:
> Good news!
>
> Richard Doyle from the LTSP mail list posted that I can add acpi=force
> to the end of the append command in
> /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/<arch>/pxelinux.cfg/default.
>
> I did this on my Edubuntu and Lubuntu LTSP servers, and all clients
> tested then shut down fully.
>
> The only remaining problem, which seems to this newbie like a bug rather
> than a feature, is what Richard Doyle points out (I have not it
> confirmed here, but his other info was dead-on-center): running
> ltsp-update-image will restore the original
> /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/<arch>/pxelinux.cfg/default, so this and any
> other edits are wiped out.
>
> And I still have a related secondary question: Since acpi=force
> indicates that ACPI has to run on the client and not just on the server,
> how can I verify that ACPI is indeed running on the client?  Someone
> suggested looking at the output of dmesg on the client for results that
> contain "ACPI," but it seems to me that this will just report the boot
> messages from the server, not the client.
>
> A big thank-you to all who contributed to solving the original primary
> problem.  Special thanks to Richard Doyle from the LTSP mail list and
> Steve Yorvyk from this list.

Glad you got acpi working, as have I and thanks for the info on
ltsp-update, there may be other settings it doesn't update as well.  I'm
currently starting again as my set up has got in a bit of a mess trying
to alter things.
I have to say the documentation leaves a lot to be desired, this is
probably why I've put of working with LTSP for so long.
As for what’s running on the client I'm at a bit of a loss as to how
you'd check now that I think about it properly.
Once I'm back up running I'll make backups of the working system so I
have something sensible to revert to.