Incomplete shutdown on some LTSP clients (shutdown hangs/freezes)

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Sun Sep 2 18:51:56 UTC 2012

I downloaded Kubuntu 12.04 and made a Live DVD.

On one of the clients with the shutdown problem, I booted the Live DVD.
I didn't have a working pointer (500 MHz Celeron and 256 MB, so maybe
not enough resources), but the "sudo poweroff" command from a console
window resulted in shutdown hanging after "System halted" was reported
onscreen, and I had to force the machine off.

I take it that this confirms it is not a Gnome-specific problem.

I also played with the BIOS Power Control settings.  For "ACPI Aware
O/S: Yes/No" and "Power Management/APM: Enabled/Disabled."  I tried all
four permutations of settings and all resulted in the same hung shutdown.

There was also "Power Button Function: On/Off," "Suspend Time Out:
Enabled/Disabled" and <various devices>: "Monitor/Ignore," but I took
those to be irrelevant.

>>> 1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/491940