chromium-browser and disk usage

Hitesh Shah chimak111 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 16:30:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Lars Noodén <lars.nooden at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's on a machine that was wiped clean just a week ago, including
> /home.  So it is rather clean.  Winding swappiness down to 10 seems to
> have done the trick.  But before, it seemed like the hard disk was
> continually running.  I also notice with top that there are a bunch of
> instances of chromium running at the same time, even though I only
> opened one.  Is there any way to make top focus on a single process or
> set of processes?...

Since changing swappiness has helped that's great. I haven't really looked
at disk activity because I have a laptop that has just one LED :(
If you know of something (other than Conky) do share. Ideally it should be
an applet so it's always visible even with maximized windows.
This oldish link explains why there are multiple processes:
http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/multi-process-architecture.html
In case that doesn't answer your question, Chromium should have its own
task manager (accessed by clicking on the "three hot dogs", tools, task
manager or just shift+escape).
I don't know of any way to make top focus on one or a selected group of
processes.