[SOLVED] Re: no accents in GTK2 apps

紳癒礁湖 (Rafael Laguna) rafaellaguna at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 13:02:46 UTC 2012

目 Sun, 28 Oct 2012 09:53:54 +0100, UH <uhtlmk at googlemail.com> 書いた:

> I know, and i tried. But as i said, with no effect. And, if you have a
> look at that Debian thread, you'll see it seems to be a problem for
> many. As far as i remember back, when ubuntu still officially
> supported ppc in Gnome you could set the keyboard prefs effectively.
>
> For what i did, as a result, i've the keyboard 3rd level chooser
> included working. But i lost the ctr-alt-f1 thru f7 (consoles and
> back). I asked for in the german ubuntu forums and someone kindly
> guided me at least to the point i could establish the consoles indeed
> were there, it's only missing the shortcut to access them.
>
> Now, it's far far above my capabilities to deal (and customize) a
> keyboard layout and put  my soul in peace with that situation, happy i
> could type in what i wanted and with the keys being there where they
> are expected to be.
>
> PS. For the i386 and the amd64, the german keyb works out of the box
> (although on the amd64 i've problems with some fn-key combinations
> (fn-f6 thru fn-f8, sound related, do not work; fn-f11 (fan control)
> and fn-f12 (wireless on/off) became working only by installation of
> samsung-tools).
>
> 2012/10/28  <leszek.lesner at web.de>:
> > This has nothing todo with the keyboard layout in particular but rather with
> > the options for the layout to switch to the third level. So you just had to
> > choose a key here (I think its the left alt on a mac keyboard) in the
> > options of lxkeymap.
> > This btw. the same behavior like on KDE (don't know about gnome 3 here)
> >

> > -- Gesendet von meinem HP TouchPad
> > ________________________________
> > Am 28.10.2012 09:23 schrieb UH <uhtlmk at googlemail.com>:
> > For me, on a Powerbook, it never ever worked. I could choose Mac
> > german as keyboard layout, but it was not effective at all ... So i
> > gave up and looked for another way to get to the @sign, square
> > brackets, programmer brackets etc.
> >
> > 2012/10/28 <leszek.lesner at web.de>:
> >> What do you mean by this ?
> >>
> >> Nodeadkeys and other configurations seen in gnomes or kdes keyboard
> >> configurators are available. Or am I missing something ?
> >>
> >> The only thing lxkeymap cannot set is the global keyboard layout (as this
> >> needs root permissions)
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> >> Von meinem Nokia N9 gesendet
> >>

> >> UH schrieb am 28.10.12 08:31:
> >>
> >> And yes LXKeymap misses somewhat the essentials for those with foreign
> >> (=not angloamerican) keyboards. I'm happy you confirm my laments :)

Okay, found it! ÁÉÍÓÚÀÈÌÒÙÄËÏÖÜ

The problem was in the file .pam_environment (don't know its utility). Its content as:

LANGUAGE=ca:en
LANG=ca_ES.UTF-8

changed into:

LANGUAGE=ca:es
LANG=ca_ES.UTF-8

I was in "Canadian" mode, not "Catalan" mode. Now the question is, who made this hidden file? What's intended for? And the ugly question...

is Ubuntu confusing CAnada with CAtalan?

Cheers!

--
紳癒礁湖 (Rafael Laguna)
Lubuntu Artwork Team