Lubuntu Software Center - MenuLibre

Hitesh Shah chimak111 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 12:35:10 UTC 2012

Stephen Smally wrote:
"The software showed in the Lubuntu Software Center is selected using the
datas contained in the package app-install-data, if menulibre is
included in the repos and a .desktop file in
/usr/share/app-install/
desktop/ exists it should be shown."

Hi Stephen and thank you for replying. I'm afraid I didn't make myself
clear. I'll try again with a little more detail.

I have a computer running Ubuntu 12.04 on which I have recently installed
lubuntu-desktop. Now, if I want to install software from the repos, I have
the following options:
1. The Ubuntu Software Center (because my basic installation is Ubuntu
12.04)
2. Synaptic Package Manager (because I have installed Synaptic)
3. Lubuntu Software Center (because I have added lubuntu-desktop to my
existing Ubuntu 12.04)
4. The command line using apt-get

After the recent apps showdown and community vote, I read about menulibre
as a lighter version of GNOME's alacarte (aka Main Menu). So I decided to
install it because the author said it would work with most desktop
environments.

The point I'm trying to make is that when I opened Lubuntu Software Center
and entered "menulibre" in the search box, there were no hits (and there
are no hits even today).
In other words, Lubuntu Software Center does not list menulibre as a
software available for installation.

However, Ubuntu Software Center did list it and I installed it from there.
If I click on Lubuntu's Main Menu and then on System Tools, I can access it
from there with the name of "Main Menu". So I have no problem in that
respect.