Mouse cursor theme and Customize Look and Feel

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 02:17:38 UTC 2012

It's not a bug. It's the limitation of X11.
This is one of the many things that Windows can do well and X cannot.
Changing cursors on the fly requires XFIXES extension to X11.
Besides, not all applications/GUI toolkits have proper support for this.
In addition, KDE, Qt, gtk, and gtk with xsettings running all acquire
settings for cursors from totally different places.
There is no common spec for this. So it's totally in a mess.
LXDE already did its best to overcome this issue with some hacks in
lxappearance.