[Lubuntu] How to unmount a camera from the command line?

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 2 01:10:56 UTC 2012

Hi John,

I've found my little minicom usb camera / mic device. It does not get
mounted by PCManFM, but does appear if I check

phillw at piglet:~$ ls /dev/video*
/dev/video0

Which changes to

phillw at piglet:~$ ls /dev/video*
/dev/video0  /dev/video1

when I plug it in.

I suspect that as my device is a real dumb web-cam, has yours got in built
memory? If it has, then that would explain it being mounted as a storage
device.

I'm following the hints and tips from the wiki area [1] The Multimedia guys
on the forum are far better placed to assist you[2].

Regards,

Phill.
1. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam#Configuring_Webcam_Software
2. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=334