GMixer

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Tue May 29 02:59:25 UTC 2012

I wanna do this last time and have some code that does not work yet.
My original plan was to build a mixer which supports different backends.
ALSA is only available on Linux, and at least we may need to support OSS,
OSS4, pulseaudio.
Using GstMixer provided by gstreamer can achieve this and xfce mixer does
this
However it creates dependency on gstreamer. (not all gstremer plugins are
needed, only the basic ones, which is not large).
I studied the API for different sound systems and found that they are very
different.
GStreamer team really did a great job to provide a consistent mixer API for
them.
If we're going to do it ourselves and do not use gstreamer mixer APIs, we
need to do similar things.
There are actually several lightweight gtk+-based ALSA mixer which uses
ALSA and gtk+ only.
I even found one written in plain C, which is good.
None of them, however, can support other sound systems.
Currently I cannot find a nice and clean mixer which is not Linux-specific.
Can we create one?