Who is in charge? and Non PAE CPU

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:55:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Julien Lavergne <gilir at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Le 06/13/2012 06:36 PM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) a écrit :
> >
> > I'd also like to know what is the best and the easiest way to find out
> > whether the CPU is a PAE or Non PAE?
> From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE :
>
> grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo
>

> But I know Jonathan had a magic command to find it.
>

> > With Lubuntu 12.04, we have decided to go for the generic Kernel so
> > what about 12.10?
> *It will be PAE-only kernel, unless we can hire a kernel dev to maintain
> a non-PAE kernel for us (so, don't really count on it). It's a
> project-wide decision (mean Ubuntu and all the family). It's nearly
> impossible to go against it.*
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne

As per Julien's reply[1], and as per what I have mentioned earlier about
the fact that Lubuntu community doesn't have any idea of how many users
over there who will actually be affected by that change, I see the right
move will be:

*Find out how many users will be affected.*
*
*
*If there are many then:*
*a- discuss with Xubuntu Team to see what plans do they have?*
*b- try to find someone even though it's SO hard due to time limit*
*
*
*If there are few then:*
*I think we can't do much about that unless someone has something in mind.*
*
*
That, IMHO, what our plan needs to be.

Thanks :)

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/gilir

--
*Best Regards,
amjjawad*
Lubuntu Support Team Co-ordinator
Lubuntu Communication Team Administrator
Lubuntu One Stop Thread <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad>| My
Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>