Laptop doesn't switch to external monitor

Alexander Andjelkovic andjelkovic at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 18:04:49 UTC 2012

Hello folks,

I've got an Asus 1001PX netbook running Lubuntu which I want to
connect to an external monitor through VGA. Unfortunetly it doesn't
work as the external monitor just goes to sleep when I enable it in
LXrandr. The monitor isn't broken, as it works on other machines.

I'm not sure what's wrong, but I believe it could be my graphics card
not being configured to use multiple/external displays. I have some
vague memory of having to do xorg.conf changes some year ago.

The desired solution is to either clone the laptop screen to VGA, or
to extend the desktop, either would be fine. I've attached some system
info that might be of use.

Please help a gimp use a normal sized monitor while using GIMP. [some
sort of pun intended, meh :).]

Regards,
Alexander Andjelkovic