[Lubuntu] Sed substitution with partially duplicate results

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 20 21:56:40 UTC 2012

On 12/20/2012 07:23 AM, John Hupp wrote:

> I also tried
>
>     sed -e 's/DEVICE$/DEVICE Lubuntu1:3551/'
>
> And that had no effect whatsoever.  The result was still "DEVICE
> Lubuntu1:3551 Lubuntu1:3551".

That makes no sense to me at all, if the file originally had a line
containing only DEVICE (you did check that, right?).  But

>>       sed -e 's/DEVICE.*$/DEVICE Lubuntu1:3551/'

might still be worth a shot.  Also, can you re-verify exactly what the
file has in it *before* you do all this sed editing on it?  Is there a
line containing only the word "DEVICE" ?

Is there any chance something else is editing the DEVICE line, so you do
not need to do so?  If you omit this edit (for DEVICE) but leave all the
others in place, what does the final file look like?

Jonathan