[Lubuntu] Sed substitution with partially duplicate results

John Hupp lubuntu at prpcompany.com
Fri Dec 21 01:13:18 UTC 2012

On 12/20/2012 4:56 PM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 12/20/2012 07:23 AM, John Hupp wrote:
>> I also tried
>>      sed -e 's/DEVICE$/DEVICE Lubuntu1:3551/'
>> And that had no effect whatsoever.  The result was still "DEVICE
>> Lubuntu1:3551 Lubuntu1:3551".
> That makes no sense to me at all, if the file originally had a line
> containing only DEVICE (you did check that, right?).  But
>>>        sed -e 's/DEVICE.*$/DEVICE Lubuntu1:3551/'
> might still be worth a shot.  Also, can you re-verify exactly what the
> file has in it *before* you do all this sed editing on it?  Is there a
> line containing only the word "DEVICE" ?
> Is there any chance something else is editing the DEVICE line, so you do
> not need to do so?  If you omit this edit (for DEVICE) but leave all the
> others in place, what does the final file look like?
> Jonathan

Thanks for giving this a good look.  I can verify now that the script is 
doing its job.  Something else is overwriting the file again after that.

Given the nature of the overwrite, I have to think that I must have set 
in place whatever is doing the damage.  Probably some earlier 
troubleshooting attempt which I did not record and have now forgotten.  
If I can't remember then I suppose I'll have to look through every 
location where something can start from in an LTSP client bootup.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/attachments/20121220/a52f8ec7/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Lubuntu-users mailing list