[mhvlug] New Skype won't work on my system

Jack Chastain jack.chastain at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:58:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Mark Wallace <rmarkwallace at gmail.com>wrote:

> If she has to install a plug in, she may not be able to do it on a
> computer cafe system.

To my knowledge, you need to install the GoogleTalk plugin to use Google
Video Chat - and I know I cannot install it on my work system, so I am
going to guess it won't work for her unless she can either get the plugin
installed, or it is already there. If she can get it or it is there though,
I agree - it usually works pretty well.

JackC

> On 08/15/2012 06:03 PM, Michael Muller wrote:
>
>> Mark Wallace wrote:
>>
>>> I teleconference with my fiancee on Skype every Friday Night.  She goes
>>> to a computer cafe in Hong Kong, I use Skype via Linux.
>>>
>>> There was a new version of Skype in the upgrades that won't work on my
>>> system.   If she starts her webcam, then her picture breaks up and Skype
>>> crashes on my system.  Ubuntu 12.04 with Skype 4.  The old one worked
>>> fine.  Skype then loses all of it's settings.
>>>
>>> Remember, she can't install anything on her computer cafe computer. What
>>> do I do?  PIdgin doesn't work wiith a lot of messenger services.
>>>
>> Have you tried g-mail video chat?  I've found that to work pretty well on
>> most of the Linux systems I've used it on.
>>
>>  Mark Wallace
>>>
>>> Upcoming Meetings (6pm - 8pm)                         Vassar College
>>>    Sep 5 - Towards an Open Cloud with OpenStack
>>>    Oct 3 - Mobile Web Development
>>>    Nov 7 - Typography: Physical Art to Digital Art
>>>

>> ==============================**==============================**
>> =================
>> michaelMuller = mmuller at enduden.com | http://www.mindhog.net/~**mmuller<http://www.mindhog.net/~mmuller>
>> -----------------
>> There is no way to find the best design except to try out as many designs
>> as
>> possible and discard the failures. - Freeman Dyson
>> ==============================**==============================**
>> =================
>>

> --
> Mark Wallace
> 20 N Franklin Street
> Athens, NY 12015
> USA
> Telephone: 1-845-541-7396

> Upcoming Meetings (6pm - 8pm)                         Vassar College
>  Sep 5 - Towards an Open Cloud with OpenStack
>  Oct 3 - Mobile Web Development
>  Nov 7 - Typography: Physical Art to Digital Art

--
Eschew obfuscation and pompous prolixity.

Light a man a fire, he is warm for the night.
Light a man afire, he is warm for the rest of his life.