[mhvlug] New Skype won't work on my system

Mark Wallace rmarkwallace at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:16:43 UTC 2012

If she has to install a plug in, she may not be able to do it on a
computer cafe system.  She says that the computer does not have Firefox,
so it would have to work with Internet Explorer.  I have no experience
with Explorer and don't want any.  Do you think that she will be able to
run it?

On 08/15/2012 06:03 PM, Michael Muller wrote:
> Mark Wallace wrote:
>> I teleconference with my fiancee on Skype every Friday Night.  She goes
>> to a computer cafe in Hong Kong, I use Skype via Linux.
>>
>> There was a new version of Skype in the upgrades that won't work on my
>> system.   If she starts her webcam, then her picture breaks up and Skype
>> crashes on my system.  Ubuntu 12.04 with Skype 4.  The old one worked
>> fine.  Skype then loses all of it's settings.
>>
>> Remember, she can't install anything on her computer cafe computer. What
>> do I do?  PIdgin doesn't work wiith a lot of messenger services.
> Have you tried g-mail video chat?  I've found that to work pretty well on
> most of the Linux systems I've used it on.
>
>> Mark Wallace
>>
>> Upcoming Meetings (6pm - 8pm)                         Vassar College
>>    Sep 5 - Towards an Open Cloud with OpenStack
>>    Oct 3 - Mobile Web Development
>>    Nov 7 - Typography: Physical Art to Digital Art

> michaelMuller = mmuller at enduden.com | http://www.mindhog.net/~mmuller
> There is no way to find the best design except to try out as many designs as
> possible and discard the failures. - Freeman Dyson

Mark Wallace
20 N Franklin Street
Athens, NY 12015
USA