Making the help.ubuntu.com wiki into a one-stop support resource!
kanliot at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 10:03:22 UTC 2012
I'm going to list some reasons why icons might be good for a wiki
Look at this site: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Startseite
Assuming that New users don't know what they are doing, or they
wouldn't need the wiki and...
They don't know where to find info
* The homepage of wiki.ubuntuusers.de is very distinctive, users will
recognise the page the next time they see it, therefore there is less
chance of them feeling lost.
* The homepage is easy to scan. The users don't have to read
paragraph after paragraph in order to know what page they are on.
* new users will also feel that they belong on this page. We really
can't assume that new users won't give up, before they find the right
page. It's possible, and they do get tired of reading.
* icons make reading large lists easier. You tend to jump around when
you read. Icons will remind people what they've read, and haven't
* really you can't make things too easy.
More information about the Lubuntu-users