[lubuntu-devel] Lu 20.10 running 5.4 kernel . . . still???

Fritz Hudnut este.el.paz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 21:55:18 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 3:25 PM Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 05:52:58PM -0800, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> > I didn't say it was slow
> > compared to 20.04 . . . I said it is slow compared to each of my other 5
> > linux installs . . . .
>
> Some other distros have completely different paradigms (e.g. different
> init systems) that could have an impact here, so that may be a case of
> comparing apples and oranges. What I see in your original message is
> that you made the comparison with "other ubuntu or Debian flavors" and
> *that* would be a good comparison since they share a lot of core pieces.
> Better yet, stay within Ubuntu.
>

>  @Walter:

Well, life, like linux, isn't always fair . . . .  But, I did run the
systemd-analyze and out of the three debian/ubuntu installs that are
running in the same HDD, Lubuntu 20.10, LM 20, and Debian Bullseye . . .
the evidence does support my "feeling" that Lubuntu is "the slowest."  But,
really, the systemd-analyze seems to be reflecting something other than
"logging into the desktop" . . . because in my TW install I was logged in,
I launched the terminal and ran the command, and it said, "We aren't done
getting to the graphical user yet . . . " (from memory)  but I was using
the desktop at the time.

Lubuntu by contrast, shows "shorter systemd-analyze" times than TW, but it
takes longer to get into the GUI . . . so it "feels" even slower than it it
is showing, in the "analyze," etc.

I checked again the kernel with uname -r and it is indeed running a 5.4
kernel, checked apt again, only one package showed as available to upgrade
and it wasn't the kernel, checked in Software & Updates, it showed "groovy"
. . . and I checked locked packages, which only shows "grub2" because I got
tired of fixing grub after every update.

I downloaded the daily of hirsute and burned it to usb drive, I'll test it
in a bit and maybe upgrade via /etc/apt/sources.list sometime in the next
few days????

Lu 20.10  -- systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 7.131s (kernel) + 39.268s (userspace) = 46.399s
graphical.target reached after 33.295s in userspace

$ systemd-analyze blame
22.858s man-db.service

12.538s udisks2.service

12.016s snapd.service

11.875s NetworkManager-wait-online.service

10.180s networkd-dispatcher.service

 8.549s dev-sdc7.device

 6.613s systemd-journal-flush.service

 6.544s accounts-daemon.service              There were more items but only
4 sec each.

Debian Bullseye -- systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 6.820s (kernel) + 26.819s (userspace) = 33.640s
graphical.target reached after 26.809s in userspace

Linux Mint 20/focal??  --systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 6.896s (kernel) + 26.694s (userspace) = 33.590s
graphical.target reached after 21.551s in userspace

Gecko rolling  --systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.226s (kernel) + 3.874s (initrd) + 11.828s (userspace)
= 17.929s
graphical.target reached after 10.860s in userspace

I included the Gecko, even though it isn't necessarily "fair," becuase it
is running in a newer HDD than the ubuntu flavors, but just to show how
comparatively "slow" Lubuntu is in relationship to the blinding speeds of
Gecko in the same '12 MacPro Quadcore unit.

To be even more unfair, the same command run in my new Sys76 Gazelle laptop
using coreboot technology and their Pop_OS! based on ubuntu 20.10 showed:
--systemd-analyze  start 8.113s (firmware) + 3.829s (loader) + 3.505s
(kernel) + 1.479s (userspace) = 16.928s       graphical target reached
after 1.472s in userspace