[lubuntu-devel] Lubuntu Yakkety Yak Beta 1 has been released!

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 15:57:44 UTC 2016

Hi All,

On 25 August 2016 at 23:46, Simon Quigley <tsimonq2 at lubuntu.me> wrote:

> Lubuntu Yakkety Yak Beta 1 (soon to be 16.10) has been released!

OK, thanks to erratic sleep patterns, I'm late to the party :)

Downloaded the iso, detailed below:-
5b3b043538121f3959a80deec0ddb742  lubuntu-16.10-beta1-alternate-i386.iso

Installed it on my Samsung NC10 Netbook (32-bit Intel Atom CPU, 2 GiB RAM,
320GB hard drive), further hardware details can be found here:-
https://gist.github.com/21b61903871ee685fc79

OS. Install
* Had a look at the papercuts listed on [1]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/Beta1/Lubuntu
* As usual, for an install iso too big for a CD-R, I used Startup Disc
Creator to create USB install media.
* Installed with no errors, using an Ethernet connection.
* Rebooted OK, logged in OK/

Using the O.S.
* Did a man mkdir command and got the error message "bash: man: command not
found"
* Which man revealed that man command not on path
* Checked the keyboard for programmer specific keys - in particular double
and single-quotes work fine.

Ruby
* Used Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) to install ruby, ruby2.3-doc
* Tried commands irb, ri
* Installed emacs using SPM
* When editing a (Ruby) text file in emacs, noticed 2 mysterious blank
lines between "File" etc at the top of the windows and the first line of a
text file. Further investigation revealed that the usual icons that are
usually near the top of the emacs windows weren't present, resulting in
blank space.

etc.
* Installed gnome-games (SPM) and it worked fine.

HTH,

Ian

-- Free Software page - https://sites.google.com/site/
ianbruntlett/home/free-software