[lubuntu-devel] Architecture EOL plans for Lubuntu

Bryan Quigley bryan.quigley at canonical.com
Tue Aug 16 20:08:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2016 08:13, "Bryan Quigley" <bryan.quigley at canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  I was just saying that in some cases the cost of power (which is
> > hidden on the individual level sometimes) and add up to make some
> > older machines not worth it.
>
> That is an interesting thought, as it sort of suggests that Lubuntu's
> focus on older machines may not be justifiable, at least financially.
>
> For alternate cds: I'm surprised they're still needed, given that I
> > can run Lubuntu (i386) livecd well with just 256 MB of ram.  Having
> > said that it doesn't look like the costs of building alternates are
> > very high.
>
> It's ubiquity that's the memory hog. If only if had a non-graphical
> frontend…

Sorry, I meant to write back sooner, but it took me longer to find time to
run the tests.

In my VM testing with various memory amounts a Lubuntu LiveCD having
selected "Install Lubuntu" option operates in *less* memory than the
Alternate installer.

I was able to install Lubuntu i386 Desktop CD in just 218 MB of ram, by
selecting - "Install Lubuntu" and choosing no updates when installing or
3rd party stuff.   The key part is not to boot the Live session and just go
directly to Ubiquity.

The Alternate i386 installer fails completely until about 240MB but even
then be install didn't succeed.

Both tests we're done using 16.04.1 medium.  I'm guessing it's Zram that
makes the LiveCD works so well.  I'm actually surprised by the results
myself, but I don't see where I could have made a mistake in my testing.

> > PPC: This was mentioned in passing that this arch might be worth
> > considering for removal in the future
>
> This is being discussed seriously now due to lack of support among kernel
> developers and lack of testers. Even if this was a done deal, since our
> last release was Xenial, the Canonical machinery will need to continue to
> publish PPC images until its point releases are finished.

That's absolutely true.

Kind regards,
Bryan