[lubuntu-devel] Black screen with flashing cursor

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 19:37:17 UTC 2016

Hi Jan,

On 18 April 2016 at 19:24, Jan Holtman <oulik.jan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found a strange bug on the daily build versions of Lubuntu 16.04 When
> booting from a live USB on some older machines Lubuntu 16.04 does not boot
> through, I just get a blinking cursor. I have tried this on 3 different
> machines, The nomodeset setting seems to kind of solve the problem, but
> then only one monitor can get used. On one of the machines that I tested
> the font looks weird. It is not an ideal solution. All the machines which
> had those problems are older machines TXXXX series processor, like T2400,
> T5500 etc. Lubuntu is ideal for older machines

I downloaded this:-
ian at newton:~/isos/Xenial-Xerus/Daily-Build-19th-April$ md5sum
xenial-desktop-i386.iso
88297c1fa949040b57438bba6a99e527  xenial-desktop-i386.iso

used md5sum to check the integrity of the iso - it passed

and burnt it to DVD-RW. Installed it successfully on my Samsung NC10
NetBook. Like you, I believe, when it came to booting I got a black screen
with this message:-
/dev/sda5 clean, 122669/9527296 files, 1320333/38095703 blocks

Details about the Samsung NC10 can be obtained from
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/21b61903871ee685fc79

Rebooted. Pressed SHIFT to get into grub. Added the parameter "nomodeset"
as mentioned by you to the Kernel command line and the system booted
successfully.

(You'll know this bit but someone may find this useful)
Went to the command line (CTRL+ALT+t shortcut)
cd /etc/default
sudo chmod o+rw grub
emacs grub &   # or some other text editor
Added nomodeset to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
sudo update-grub

System works fine now. I feel that the display looks a bit blurred now.

BW,

Ian

-- Free Software page -
https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/home/free-software