Tracking down a graphics bug.

Ian Bruntlett ian.bruntlett at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 13:46:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm investigating a graphics problem that happens when the Intel graphics
driver is running.

I'm going to gather data about what is installed and have written a shell
script to automate this (and intend to do a rewrite quite soon).

So... I'd like to ask this list - which files are used to provide graphics
on Linux? I'd like to note them and try and work out where the bugs are.
The Kernel version is an obvious thing to note and perhaps the contents of
/lib/firmware/i915 directory

Here is the script...
#!/bin/bash
# script to gather system information for an upstream debug info request
# Ian Bruntlett 29th November 2015
# 7th December listed Contents of /lib/firmware/i915 to $INFOFILE

function log_file_contents()
{
echo $1 >> $INFOFILE
cat $1 >> $INFOFILE
echo >> $INFOFILE
}

INFOFILE="debug_info_"$HOSTNAME`date "+_%d_%B_%Y.txt"`
echo INFOFILE is $INFOFILE
if [ -f $INFOFILE ]
then
rm $INFOFILE
fi;

log_file_contents "/proc/version"

echo "Output of lsb_release" >> $INFOFILE
lsb_release -rd >> $INFOFILE
echo >> $INFOFILE

echo
echo add the output of the ver_linux script here
echo While booted into the newest upstream mainline kernel only,
echo this is found in the directory: /usr/src/linux-headers-VERSION/scripts
echo

log_file_contents "/proc/cpuinfo"
log_file_contents "/proc/modules"
log_file_contents "/proc/ioports"
log_file_contents "/proc/iomem"

echo
echo get PCI information
echo While booted into the newest upstream mainline kernel only, execute
echo sudo lspci -vvv
echo

log_file_contents "/proc/scsi/scsi"

echo "Contents of /proc" >> $INFOFILE
ls -l /proc >> $INFOFILE
echo >> $INFOFILE

echo "Contents of /lib/firmware/i915" >> $INFOFILE
ls -l /lib/firmware/i915 >> $INFOFILE
echo >> $INFOFILE

BW,

Ian