Ubuntu Moscow LoCo

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 2 18:40:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Randall Ross <randall at executiv.es> wrote:
> Placement
> on loco.ubuntu.com is a means to get a team visibility that they can't get
> otherwise

As part of the Russian team, they get this visibility. Plus the rest
of the Russian team can see their work, events, projects. It's quite
inspiring! :)

This the the trouble with city-based teams and why every time the
subject comes up it's rejected. City-based teams seem like a good idea
for those of us who live in cities (San Francisco and Vancouver, in
our cases) but it's unfair and uninspiring for folks who live in very
small towns and similar. Approval-wise, it means that it would be very
unlikely that a small town would ever get the official resources that
the city-based teams get. It ends up being exclusionary and
demotivating to folks in these smaller towns, which is the opposite of
what we're trying to do here and I'm sure this is why Laura expresses
concerned at your continued pushing for this (I don't believe she was
being "condescending and combatative" she's just watching out for the
little guys).

In California small towns benefit from the full California team
approval just as much as the big cities do and it's been a great
system as we ship DVDs all over the state. It adds cohesiveness to
folks in the same regions so I'm always aware of the cool stuff the
folks in Los Angeles are doing in addition to my local things, when I
visit San Diego I just need to check the California page to find out
what they're doing. For regions who share a language in their region
and so also coordinate translations efforts and such this is even more
compelling.

Hope this helps.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2