[RFC] LEP#2, Local Community Teams vs. Locale Teams

Chris Johnston chrisjohnston at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 19 14:23:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:09 AM, YoBoY <yoboy.leguesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the problem of all of our misunderstandings is we don't have one
> clear definition since the beginning of what a "LoCo team" have to take in
> charge. I can read in the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamHowto that : "LoCo
> teams are predominantly set up to do interesting things such as advocacy,
> education, support, translations or other tasks"

On that very same page it states:

"When deciding to create a LoCo team for your area, you should first
decide which particular region you want to create a team for. "

A region normally isn't considered the entire planet. Nor is a region
considered a language.

It also states:

"See the full list of LoCo teams and look to see if there is one in your area."

Then there is the entire paragraph of:

"Generally LoCo teams have a fairly large catchment area. So, as an
example the UK LoCo Team have a single group for the entire country.
This is because the UK is a fairly small country. However, as part of
the UK Team, smaller meetings around the country happen, but they all
fall under the remit of the UK LoCo team. For larger countries such as
the USA, it is more common to have LoCo teams at a state level - the
country is too big to have one single LoCo team."

Now lets take a look at the LoCoTeamRegions page
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamRegions) which gives even further
information about regions.

I don't really see how it could be much clearer? That very well
explains and defines LoCo Teams and regions.

> When I read some posts, it's like LoCo teams only have to care of events.
> Why not. But I think the first thing users want in a country is support, not
> events. If this support in their language exists somewhere online, provided
> by someone, it's fine. But in the reality, these support resources don't
> exists or are under one LoCo care.

Then expand it.

> LoCos starts what they think is the best for the users in their country. If
> it's localized support, fine. If it's events, better. Adding more teams to
> separate each activities only make it more complex to start. With time,
> teams can evolve and perhaps one day, a natural "language support team" will
> appear for their language if needed.

You are even saying right here, a country. That doesn't encompass an
entire language covering the whole planet.

> To talk about my LoCo Team, the French Team, like Huats said we provide
> online resource for every French people, and we organize events in France
> with success (it's easy with people in France, they love free software). We
> have erased lot of the France aspect in our websites to let other French
> LoCo Teams point to us for their support needs. In fact members all around
> the world help us on the sites. And people from other countries also come to
> help us on the Ubuntu Party in Paris sometimes. We are both a Local
> Community and a Locale team because we evolved that way (don't ask witch
> part started first nobody knows).

So, the parts that are done by the entire French community, ie
ubuntu-fr.org would be handled by ubuntu-language-fr and the part that
has to do with events, ie. the LoCo Directory  part would be done by
ubuntu-france (the loco team).

Chris