[RFC] LEP#2, Local Community Teams vs. Locale Teams

Chris Johnston chrisjohnston at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 19 11:19:36 UTC 2011

Comments inline.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:56 AM, YoBoY <yoboy.leguesh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Let me just remind you that lot of Local Community Teams are also Language
> Teams (correct me if I'm wrong). The only difference is for teams where the
> language is shared by more than one country. The first Local Community team
> providing a good online support with a forum, documentation and other tools
> will become in fact the language support team for all the others. Now there
> is exceptions like the new Esperanto team.

Local Community teams are regional teams.

> Now what do you want. Each team who provide language support split in two
> teams? But where? in Launchpad? everywhere on the network with two names
> (dns, irc, ...)? For the native language support we have to create new teams
> ? Where a new user searching for support have to go to find online help?

To use French as an example, There is currently the Ubuntu France
team. It does not make sense for someone in Florida to join that team.
Here is why: they won't be able to attend release parties, events,
etc.

The recommendation that was made is to create:

ubuntu-language-fr

Now.. The Ubuntu France team joins this team.. And it's my
understanding that Quebec has a large French speaking population. So
maybe the Quebec LoCo Team (if such thing exists) joins the
ubuntu-language-fr team. And I have a buddy here in Florida who speaks
french. Well.. He isn't in Quebec, so their release parties and Ubuntu
Hours won't do him any good. Then there is Ubuntu France.. Well.. As
we already determined, he isn't there either.. So he joins
ubuntu-language-fr, and participates with the French community in that
way. The same thing could happen with Spanish speaking people around
the world. Each country has their own team (as pretty much already
exists), and they all join together on support and documentation, etc.

> I finish with a last question because nobody seems to want to talk about
> that. What is the place of a language support team in the Ubuntu world?

I can't speak for anyone else, buy IMO, the place of a language
support team would be to provide support and documentation, etc.
Combine with the translation teams and do translations.

Chris