[RFC] LEP#1, Standardize the LoCo Team Display Names

Rubén Romero y Cordero huayra at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 7 19:46:41 UTC 2011

2011/6/30 Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Chris Johnston <chrisjohnston at ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2011/6/30 Fabián Rodríguez <magicfab at ubuntu.com>:
>>
>> > Dropping the "Local Community Team" and other suffix variations of it
>> > would also help in branding, as it's easier not to translate such
>> > phrases - perhaps just keepin "Team" is more meaningful at this point.
>> >

>> I disagree with removing the "Local Community Team" suffix.. Let me
>> tell you why.. That way, when someone finds the Launchpad page for the
>> team, they will know exactly what they are looking at.
>
> ...or not. If you don't speak English, it doesn't matter if it says "Local
> Community Team" or "Bacon and Waffles". You're still clueless.

Here I have to agree with Søren, Leandro and Fabian: We should just
drop the Local Community Team suffix once and for all!

Our community is global and not everyone speaks English. Let's just
get over it. I have worked directly with several non-English speaking
teams (-ec, -no, -is) and for all of them using Local Community is not
relevant or intuitive, and it actually only adds confusion.

As much as I find the "LoCo" thing intuitive and cool, it just does
not work for communities outside of the English speaking universe. And
remember what Wittgenstein said: The limits of my language are the
limits of my universe. ;)

[...]

Regards,

Rubén Romero