Fwd: Ubuntu-Women subscription notification

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Tue Mar 30 04:51:57 BST 2010

Op zaterdag 27-03-2010 om 08:26 uur [tijdzone +0530], schreef || स्वक्ष
|| :
> > You know, a clever spammer would subscribe with a gmail address and you
> > would never even think about it...
>
> I agree but these are more clever. Its completely automated and maybe
> via gmail its harder to use a script to automate the id harvest as
> compared to your own server, where you can use a script to harvest the
> email id's that drop in your mailbox. IIRC, gmail will timeout**
> quickly if you try a complete download of your mailbox, depending on
> its size. </thinking out loud>

Gmail offers access over POP3 or IMAP4 and both protocols have commands
to only download the most important headers like To:, CC:, From:, etc.
So you don't even have to download all the mails and it's more efficient
than running your own server...  (e.g. gmail will also filter out most
spam).

> ** this can be an isp and slow bandwidth issue too.

I'm sure spammers can better afford non-slow ISPs than avarage
users...  :-/

--
Jan Claeys