LoCo Outreach via Team Cross-Pollination

Amber Graner akgraner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 11:44:15 BST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM, Nick Ali <nali at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> This is an idea on how to get new LoCo members interested in different
> parts of the Ubuntu community.
>
> The wiki is a great resource, where new members of the community can
> learn about all the teams that make up the community, what they do,
> how they do it, how to get involved, and much more. But some folks
> still feel intimidated or overwhelmed by the wiki. Some just learn
> differently. Thats why Ubuntu Classroom and Open Week are great, they
> provide a different way to present the material to interested
> individuals.
>
> But Ubuntu Classroom and Open Week are pull methods, the user has know
> thats what they are interested in before attending.
>
> I suggest a push method. Lets take IRC LoCo meetings. Assuming a LoCo
> has regular IRC meetings, wouldn't it be great if someone from the Art
> Team stopped by and discussed how the Art Team works? How about
> someone talking about how to translate Ubuntu into their native
> language? What if the Documentation Team discussed what needed to be
> updated for the next cycle? This can be extended to every community
> team. Tie in slides and web pages with Lernid and the discussions
> become more powerful.
>
> The advantage to LoCos is that they get someone who is very
> knowledgeable about a specific aspect of the community to present to
> their LoCos. And it might make LoCo meetings less boring :-)
>
> This would obviously require the various teams to make an effort to
> reach and communicate with LoCos, but the advantage to teams is that
> they are actively recruiting from a pool of individuals who they know
> are already interested in the Ubuntu community.
>
> Thoughts? Criticisms?

Nick,

I like this idea.

How can we as LoCo's make it easy to for the various teams participate in
our meetings?  Can we for example add a column to the Main LoCo Teams wiki
[1] or to the LoCo directory that would include the times for the LoCo
Meetings? Or created another wiki off the main for information like this?

This would let both Projects and Other LoCo teams know who would be
interested in having folks volunteer to pop in on LoCo meeting discuss
everything from Art, the Q&A, to Ubuntu Women and more.

[1] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList

Thanks for working this!

Amber

--
Amber Graner//akgraner//
http://amber.redvoodoo.org/

Just me Amber.

There are lots of Linux users who don't care how the kernel works, but only
want to use it. That is a tribute to how good Linux is.
Linus Torvalds