How many Contacts are required per team ?

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 20 11:22:54 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Laura Czajkowski
<laura at lczajkowski.com> wrote:
> Matthew East wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Hollman Enciso R.
>> <hollman.enciso at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Recently we have created the Ubuntu Colombian Council in order to divide
>>> responsabilities in the administration. We currently have 5 members of the
>>> council, including myself, the LoCo contact.
>>>
>>> At the last meeting of the council they asked me that which scenario
>>> may delegate more than a LoCo conctact? under which circumstances?
>>> or if it exist some restriccion to have more than one official contact per
>>> team. I have no found an answer so I ask the question here in the list.
>>>

>> I don't know if there is an official answer to this but my personal
>> view is that a LoCo contact should be an individual as the whole point
>> of the role is to have an individual who can be contacted when
>> necessary. I believe that not every local team does things this way
>> though. It would be quite good to have the LoCo Council clarify the
>> issue.
>>

> I brought this up at last nights LoCo Council meeting, the consensus is
> that it should be left up to the team to work out. Many teams operate
> differently, some have a leader, others a team, and even some have
> councils. It would be best left up to them to work out what suits them.
>
> Depending on the make up of the LoCo , it makes sense in terms of
> volunteers to have multiple people because people get busy, go on
> holiday etc so long as it doesnt lead to confusion or lack of
> communication between members of the "leadership".

I appreciate all of those things but it sounds like you are talking
about LoCo leaders rather than LoCo contacts: these are rather
different principles. I feel that certainly teams should be able to
decide whether or not they should be lead by an individual, by a
council, or not at all. However the contact fulfils a different role -
as an identifiable point of contact for Canonical in relation to
requesting CDs or for the wider community to get in touch with that
team. Have I misunderstood you?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org