Question on legalities

Neil Coetzer neil at ubuntu.org.zw
Thu Jan 7 10:14:31 GMT 2010

On 1/7/10, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> He is asking for Zimbabwe, there are many people who don't even have the
> privilege of having an excruciatingly slow internet connection and must
> use CDs and other media to share the updates and debs that come from
> ubuntu-restricted-extras.
>
> Not least is the problem that two of the packages AFAIK go on to
> download other things by proxy. So it's not even useful to just copy the
> debs.
>
> Martin,

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

To clarify: What I've done is cached the packages distributed with
ubuntu-restricted-extras, and those are installed individually, EXCEPT
for the two packages that go on to download other things (fonts and
flash) since those two aren't vital for people with no net access
anyway.

FYI, our main target area here is probably the poorer schools in
outlying areas where there's no net access (and in some cases they
rely entirely on solar power set up by donors), although there are
many others who would benefit as well.

Regards,
Neil