Are you providing Local Support?

Zach Gibbens infocop411 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 20:40:59 UTC 2010

On 08/27/2010 12:15 PM, Aviv Sapire wrote:
> we support israeli users in hebrew at #ubuntu-il, some of them don't speak
> or write english at all so they can't ask in #ubuntu or  other english
> support channels.
>
> I know some of the folks within our LoCo even goes to people's houses if
> they are struggling with a serious problem and they are not too far, but
> it's not organized, just based on availability.
>

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
>

>> On 27 Aug 2010, at 15:13, YoBoY <yoboy.leguesh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Sorry to ask this stupid question but, what is Local Support ?
>>>

>> Support provided by the loco to people of the same region/language.
>>
>> In the UK we provide support to people. In #ubuntu-uk if they ask for it.
>> Often people find #ubuntu too busy or hard to follow.
>>
>> We get a fair number of people turn up from outside the UK for whom English
>> is a second language. If someone can help they will but I'd nobody is around
>> or we can't fix the issue we refer people to the "official" support
>> channels.
>>
>> Al
>> --

Tennessee has always tried to help anyone walking into our channel to
the best of our ability, members have assisted others with ubuntu in
their area, through a lug and/or personally

I wasn't fully sure what local support was, despite me digging, I
figured it was along those lines.

I figure the goal was something like this:
Someone from tennessee looks at the loco list, sees we offer local
support, drops into irc & problem solved, without sending one more
person to #ubuntu, potentially joining the loco to continue learning &
helping others where they can.

Zach Gibbens